“Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart.”
“You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.”
Our community means everything to us. The doctors and staff of Hendersonville Pediatrics, P.A. actively donate time and energy beyond their work associated with our busy pediatric practice. Below is just a few examples of our volunteer work locally, regionally, and internationally.
• RISE AND SHINE FREEDOM SCHOOL and the Brevard Ballet to provide a high quality dance camp for 1 dozen 8-11 year olds from 9-12. All children come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
• Volunteer teacher of Art class
• Finding Dory (at local theater)
• 1 day of rock climbing (gift from the local Rock Gym)
• Member of Brevard community church
• Keyboard player for praise band of Brevard Community Church
• Member of Medicine Committee of Transylvania Regional Hospital
• Member of the SAFE sexual violence task force
• Member of the Advisory Board of the Transylvania County Schools Cycling Club
• Involvement in Brevard High School Cheerleaders
• Missions work in Africa for past 5 summers as well as missions work in past with Compassion International in Ecuador, Thailand, Brazil, Dominican Republic
• Aided in planning and development of field hospital with Samaritans Purse in Alaska
• Volunteer with Transylvania County Rescue Squad
• Spoke at a fundraiser for the Child and Family Resource Center (Hendersonville)
• Volunteer on the board of Smart Start of Henderson County
• Volunteer members of Henderson County Immunization Coalition
• Board of trustees @ Transylvania Regional Hospital
• Instructor of camp counsellors in administering emergency Epinephrine
• Speaker with Dessert with the Doctors
• Community lectures on Lacrosse encephalitis and other topics.
• Lectures to local high school science classes regarding Mosquito borne illnesses, LaCrosse Encephalitis specific to our area of Western North Carolina, etc.
The doctors of Hendersonville Pediatric, P.A. generously donate money to support local activities and programs that support childhood health and families in our area. Below are listed just a few of the recipients of their contributions.
• Upward Elementary
• East Hendersonville High School
• Hendersonville High School
• West Hendersonville High School
• Immaculata Catholic School
• Upward Elementary School
• Hendersonville Elementary School PTO
• Hendersonville County Youth Baseball
• Transylvania County Schools Cycling
• Brevard High School Band Association
• Appalachian State University
• WNC Mudcats
• Transylvania Little League
• Hands On Gallery
• Hendersonville Rescue Mission
• Hendersonville County Toy Run
• Gifted Sharing House of Transylvania County $1000 for Ben's Insect repellent. Almost 200 bottles will be distributed to homeless children (some who live in the forest) and those living in poverty (homes without screens or air condition). Insect repellent as part of our well child counselling.
Hendersonville Pediatrics, P.A. is proud that both our Brevard and Hendersonville offices were selected as participating pediatric sites of the internationally-acclaimed Reach Out and Read Program. Our doctors and staff speak with parents about the importance of reading aloud, starting in infancy. At each regular checkup from 6 months through 5 years of age, the child receives a new book to take home.
The Reach Out and Read program has demonstrated that through this interaction at the doctor's office, parents become more engaged and read to their children more often at home. The time spent reading translates into quantifiable gains. Research studies show that during the preschool years, children served by Reach Out and Read score three to six months ahead of their non-Reach Out and Read peers on vocabulary tests. These early foundational language skills help propel children on a path of success when they enter school.
To read a recent article featuring Hendersonville Pediatrics and Reach Out and Read click here.
For advice on recommended books to read specific to your child’s age, click here.
“It is overwhelming to see my kids grow, to watch them learn, to know that I am a part of this process with them.”